The description of VLC for Android:
The VLC media player is a free and open-source cross-platform multimedia player that plays most multimedia files as well as discs, devices, and network streaming protocols.
This is the port of the VLC media player to the Android™ platform. VLC for Android can play any video and audio files, as well as network streams, network shares and drives, and DVD ISOs, like the desktop version of VLC.
VLC for Android is a full audio player, with a complete database, an equalizer, and filters, playing all weird audio formats.
VLC is intended for everyone, is totally free, has no ads, no in-app purchases, no spying, and is developed by passionate volunteers. All the source code is available for free.
VLC for Android™ plays most local video and audio files, as well as network streams (including adaptive streaming), DVD ISOs, like the desktop version of VLC. It also supports disk shares.
All formats are supported, including MKV, MP4, AVI, MOV, Ogg, FLAC, TS, M2TS, Wv, and AAC. All codecs are included with no separate downloads. It supports subtitles, Teletext, and Closed Captions.
VLC for Android has a media library for audio and video files and allows to browse folders directly.
VLC has support for multi-track audio and subtitles. It supports auto-rotation, aspect-ratio adjustments, and gestures to control volume, brightness, and seeking.
It also includes a widget for audio control, supports audio headsets control, cover art, and a complete audio media library.
VLC for Android needs access to those categories:
• “Photos/Media/Files” to read your all media files 🙂
• “Storage” to read your all media files on SD cards 🙂
• “Other” to check network connections, change the volume, set the ringtone, run on Android TV and display the popup view, see below for details.
Permission Details :
• It needs “read the contents of your USB storage”, to read your media files on it.
• It needs “modify or delete the contents of your USB storage”, to allow deletion of files and store subtitles.
• It needs “full network access”, to open network and internet streams.
• It needs “prevent phone from sleeping” to prevent… your phone from sleeping when watching a video.
• It needs “change your audio settings”, to change audio volume.
• It needs “modify system settings”, to allow you to change your audio ringtone.
• It needs “view network connections” to monitor whether a device is connected or not.
• It needs “draw over other apps” to start the custom picture-in-picture widget.
• It needs “control vibration” to give feedback on the controls.
• It needs “run at startup” to set recommendations on the Android TV launcher screen, only used on Android TV devices.
• It needs a “microphone” to provide voice search on Android TV devices, only asked on Android TV devices.